In a video released Wednesday afternoon on Twitter, former Vice President Joe Biden responds to the backlash about the accusations from two women that he touched them inappropriately. Biden doesn’t admit to any wrongdoing, but attributes the women’s complaints to changing “social norms.”
Social norms are changing. I understand that, and I’ve heard what these women are saying. Politics to me has always been about making connections, but I will be more mindful about respecting personal space in the future. That’s my responsibility and I will meet it. pic.twitter.com/Ya2mf5ODts
— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) April 3, 2019
Last week, Lucy Flores, former Nevada state assemblywoman, accused Biden of inappropriate touching and kissing her during a campaign event in 2014, when she was running for lieutenant governor.
Related Story: Lucy Flores Accuses Joe Biden of Touching Her Inappropriately
On Monday, a second woman, Amy Lappos, also came forward saying she thought Biden was going to “kiss her in the mouth” at a fundraiser in 2009 in Greenwich, Conn.
“It wasn’t sexual, but he did grab me by the head,” Amy Lappos told the Hartford Courant. “He put his hand around my neck and pulled me in to rub noses with me. When he was pulling me in, I thought he was going to kiss me on the mouth.”
Biden has yet to formally declare his candidacy for president. However, if he plans on running a scandal would hurt his chances. There have been reports that former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he’d reconsider running for president, if Biden stayed out the race. Both are centrist candidates.
Democratic presidential candidates such as Sens. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) have publicly supported Flores’ claims.